About 25% of all homes purchased each year are newly built, while the remaining 75% are resales of existing homes. Which is best for you? As the Canadian Home Builders’ Association, we obviously have a bias for new homes, but you need to make the choice that makes the most sense for you and your family. (And if you buy a resale home, remember that our professional renovator members can help you make any changes you want.)
There are a number of differences between buying a new and resale home. Here’s our perspective on the advantages that a newly-built home can provide to you:
CHOICE | You choose the builder
When you buy a brand new home, you get to choose your builder based on their reputation and track record. Professional new home builders are proud of their work, skilled, experienced and committed to your satisfaction.
COMFORT | Up-to-Date
Today’s homes meet more stringent building codes and provide a quality of construction that is higher and more demanding than in the past. A new home meets today’s standards for energy efficiency, safety and performance. From construction materials to heating systems, the technology built into every new home ensures your long-term satisfaction.
COMMUNITY | Well-designed places to live
New developments are designed to foster a spirit of neighbourliness by carefully balancing private and public areas. They include welcoming home designs, green recreational areas, playgrounds for children, safe and attractive roads and pathways, and many other features.
CONFIDENCE | You know what you’re getting
With a new home, you don’t have to worry about maintenance and repair costs for many, many years, because everything is brand new and covered by warranty. Resale homes come with uncertainty about the timing and costs of repair or replacement, from roofing to heating and plumbing.
PERSONALIZATION | Make it yours
From floor plans to features and finishes, when you buy a new home you get choices not available on the resale market. Depending on the type of new home you buy, your builder will work with you to select the right details to make your home truly yours.
WARRANTY | Peace of Mind
One of the great advantages of buying a brand new home is the warranty that comes with it. Professional builders stand behind their work with an after-sales service program and a guaranteed third-party warranty
DESIGN | A fresh space to call your own
Today’s new homes combine function and style, with open, inviting living areas, lots of light, well-planned work spaces and built-in convenience. Light, bright and fresh feeling.